Day 5: What Memories do you Cherish?

On a normal day, I would tell you all about my cherished memories. I mean, this is a blog about creative writing, right? But, I endured something a few years ago that took part of my memory. I was diagnosed with epilepsy as a preteen. Around my 20th birthday, I had multiple seizures which really affected my memory. Well, I'm sure you can imaging banging your head on the floor does nothing for your brain cell development. Even though I don't recall memories before the age of 15, I still remember how I felt when looking at a specific photographs. So, I'm going to share some photographic memories with you.


It all began when two people fell in love... too cliche? This is my parents engagement photo. You're wondering how in the world I could recall this because I wasn't even born yet. Well, I find extreme comfort in this photo for some reason. When I look at it, I feel as though my life began in that moment. I feel like I remember the pre-mortal existence, my brothers gathering, getting ready to be a family. It sounds totally cheesy, I know, but it's true.


Guess what? I'm the baby! I know, so cute. I chuckle every time I see this photo. This photograph represented our family as complete and whole. I don't recall many memories of my brothers, but I do remember how much they loved me. Always, they had my mothers, fathers, and my, best interests at heart. I find comfort in knowing that these goofballs will always be my family.



I do remember this picture being taken on a trip to Nauvoo. This vacation is one of the only memories I have of my Grandma Walker. She died when I was seven of cancer. Even though she is not pictured, I see her in Christ. Though I don't remember her as a person, I remember her spirit. Her spirit was warm, inviting, and clearly memorable.




This is my brother and I playing in the irrigation water on the farm in Idaho. I treasure that place dearly. It's the only home that I remember. Probably because I was raised in that home. Isn't it interesting how our hearts attach themselves to places we otherwise would not.

Yes, this is exactly what it looks like. I am wearing pantyhose on my head while my father and brothers stuff them with balloons. If I'm not mistaken I believe this was at a family Christmas party. I don't remember much of family gatherings before 2005, but I do remember the feeling; complete happiness. There was always laughter, togetherness, wholesomeness, and love. I guess that's what memories are really for, to remind us of the good things worth fighting for. Memories are only moments, but it's the moments we choose to hang on to that determine our fate.

This is a photograph of Grandpa and Grandma Clegg. They are both deceased but their spirits remain strong in my heart. My grandmother was such a virtuous and kind woman. I remember her always having butterscotch cookies when we came to visit. She always insisted that grandchildren should be self-entertained. *chuckle* Well, she knew how the process worked very well. She made play-dough, read books, and played checkers with her grandchildren. What a delightful woman. Unfortunately I don't have many memories of my Grandpa Clegg. But I do remember that he used to sit me on his lap and sing "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly" with me. I really miss them. Entering their home was like entering a place of holiness. Just clean, eternal, and light.

This is my Grandpa Walker. He also is deceased but remains humorous to my heart. Fortunately I do have vivid, fond memories of him. He used to take me to a camp ground hidden in a golf course called Aspen Acres (Where he is pictured, actually). Grandpa always had that smirk on his face like he knew you were up to something but loved you anyways. Bless his heart. I miss going to his house and watching Judge Joe Brown. He'd scold the the television while we shared a plate of cheese and crackers. I could go on, but I won't stop. I'll have to dedicate some posts to specific memories.

And here my parents are again. I find it appropriate to begin and end with them. They are the reason I have memories in the first place. Because of them I will always have warmth and love in my heart. Because of their life on earth, I will always understand Christ's love for His children. Gosh, I just love those two. They make my heart smile.








Isn't it interesting that we retain so many memories and yet the ones that we remain so fond of concern our family. That's what is it all about guys; family. Without it, there is no purpose to a life existing beyond this one. Without the family, there can be no understanding of true love, sacrifice, and virtue. Even though I don't have vivid memories, I will always have these photographs to remind my soul how important my family was and is to me.

This entry was posted on 05 June, 2013 and is filed under ,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply